Emily Scott is the author of “The Girl’s Guide – To College Soccer”. Emily graduated from Ball State University in 2019 with a Major in Organizational Communication and Minor in Marketing. At Ball State, she played four years of NCAA Division I soccer as a forward/outside midfielder. Emily is now the Social Media Manager and Administrator for PS90 Soccer and SoccerGrlProbs Camps. She lives in Chicago, Illinois and still plays soccer in women’s league’s whenever she gets the opportunity. She hopes that with these blogs, she can take her own experiences along with others who have played college soccer, and use them to help future players in any way possible. For questions/comments, feel free to reach her at email@example.com .
(My) Top 10 Soccer/Sports Movies
Last week we talked about how to stay active while we are all confined to our homes to stay healthy during this time. As important as that is, taking some time to decompress and relax matters just as much. This blog has been comprised of some of the best sports movies to get you through these rough times. If you’re missing sports as much as we are, this is a great way to start watching them again! So without further ado, here is our list of 10 of the greatest sports movies! Don’t worry, we saved the soccer movies for the top 5!
10. Talladega Nights – This is one of the funniest movies I have ever seen. And, it gave me a new appreciation for something I had never considered much of a sport – NASCAR. It’s definitely a movie you may need to ask for permission before you watch it, but it will have you laughing the entire time.
9. Dodgeball – Another absolutely hilarious movie that highlights a lesser known “sport” – Dodgeball of course! Totally fun, totally dumb in some respects, and totally worth watching. Again, this may be a movie for the older kids. It will have you laughing hysterically the whole time through and give you a new appreciation for different sports.
8. Miracle – One of the greatest stories in all of sports history If you haven’t heard the story, this movie is a must watch. To put it the short way, this movie follows the journey of the U.S.Men’s Olympic Hockey Team as they work towards a gold medal during the 1980Olympics. It’s a great story about working together as a team, overcoming defeat, and believing in yourself.
7. I, Tonya – If you’ve never heard the Tonya Harding story before, don’t worry. I hadn’t either until this movie came out. I don’t want to ruin the movie and explain everything that happens, but it sure is one of the craziest stories in all of sports history. Figure skating is much more interesting than I would’ve thought, and this movie left me wanting to watch it even more! Plus, Margot Robbie being one of my favorite actresses definitely helps.
6. A League of Their Own – This movie hits home for me,literally. The team that the movie is based on is from Rockford, IL, the sameplace I’ve lived for most of my life! This movie is also all about women’s empowerment, which makes it even better. The movie is about how the Women’sProfessional Baseball League was started during World War II and followers the women and teams as they take on the world during times of strife.
5. Goal! – Woo finally getting into the soccer movies! Goal!is a great place to start. It’s one of the best stories of overcoming the struggles that we face in our lives. This is the story of a young man with a rough background who is given the opportunity to play with one of the top clubs in England. What’s so cool about this movie is it was made with full cooperation from FIFA, which allowed actual teams and players to be in the movie. It is truly a great soccer film!
4. Kicking and Screaming – Yet again another hilarious movie. We prefer the 2005 version of course. A story of rivalry between two teams, who will do anything to beat one another. They take soccer to heights it’s never been to before, in a funniest of ways. If you haven’t seen it, it’s definitely a great way to get through being stuck inside while watching sports you love!
3. She’s the Man – A classic. Sure she may play with her hair down at the end of the movie (spoiler), but we forgive that because of how great this movie is. Once again, this movie is about more than just soccer.It’s about a girl, keeping up with, and even being BETTER than the boys. It’s given us so many great sayings, it will always be a go-to movie when you’re in the mood to laugh with your soccer girls.
2. Gracie – This is one of the lesser known soccer movies,but that definitely doesn’t take away from how great it is. It takes place back in 1978 when women’s soccer was very rare, and women’s sports weren’t taken seriously at all. Like She’s the Man, it shows us that girls can play with the boys and have no problems at all. This movie is also based on a true story,which makes it even cooler. A must watch that will have you smiling, crying,laughing, and everything in between.
1.Bend it Like Beckham – The GOAT of women’s empowerment sports movies. This one takes the cake. Not only does it have David Beckhams name in it (yes, he was my childhood idol), the message behind it is even more powerful. After her parents forbid her to play soccer because she’s a girl, the main character finds a way to join a team and live her dream. There’s so much more to the story. If you haven’t seen it, move this one to the top of your list!
Well, there you have it! That’s our list of must watch movies during this “quarantine”. We hope you all are staying busy, and having fun, but most of all staying healthy during this time! We can’t wait until we can all get back on the field together. Until then, at least we have home workouts and good movies! We’ll see you next weekLadyBallers!
latests news from us